Filipino.biz Internet Search
The Philippines, as the oldest Catholic country in Asia, is home to numerous beautiful and historic churches.
Its Baroque churches are cited on the World Heritage List because of their unusual interpretation of a major artistic style.
Baroque architecture, which was the dominant western style in the 16th and 17th century reflects a life dominated by the desire to impress through exuberance and extravagance.
- Malolos Church/Barasoain Church (Malolos, Bulacan)
The Malolos Church is the most famous church in Philippine history, and was the seat of the Philippine Revolutionary Congress which
convened in 1898. It is also the most familiar church, and was pictured at the back of the old PHP 10 bill.
- UP Chapel / Church of the Holy Sacrifice (UP Diliman, QC)
More popularly knows as the "UP Chapel" at the University of the Philippines in Diliman Quezon City, the Church of the Holy Sacrifice was built at the instance of U.P. Chaplain John P. Delaney, S.J. in 1955.
It is the first circular chapel and first thin-shell dome in the Philippines and is an outstanding example of the contemporary architecture of the 1950's.
- Basilica Minore del Sto. Niño (Cebu City)
The Basilica Minore del Sto. Niño Church and Convent in Cebu City were the first established in the Philippines under the Rev. Andres Urdaneta
in 1565, but both also burned down in 1566. The Santo Niño venerated in this church since the time of Legaspi, is the center of
intense devotion and religious pilgrimages throughout the Visayas.
- San Agustin Church / Church of Saint Paul (Intramuros, Manila)
San Agustin Church is the oldest church in the Philippines. Known as the Church of Saint Paul,
it was built by the Augustinian Order in 1571. It was destroyed and rebuilt many times.
Terms for the American Occupation of Manila were signed in the vestry of San Agustin Church in August, 1898.
UNESCO declared San Agustin Church a World Heritage Site in 1994.
- Jaro Cathedral (Jaro, Iloilo)
The Jaro Cathedral was built in 1864 by order of His Grace Mariano Cuartero, first bishop of Jaro.
Destroyed in the earthquake of January 1948 and restored by order of His Excellency Jose Ma. Cuenco, first archbishop of Jaro in 1956.
Philippine hero, patriot and orator Graciano Lopez Jaena was baptized at Jaro Cathedral on December 20, 1856.
- San Antonio de Padua (San Antonio, Lubao, Pampanga)
- San Pedro de Alcantara Church (Pakil, Laguna)
The San Pedro de Alcantara Church of Pakil, Laguna, built in 1684, is one of the best preserved in Laguna.
It stands as a fine example of colonial baroque architecture with its curlicue stonework and cherubs on the facade.
- Pakil’s Centuries-old Church of San Pedro de Alcantara
... every corner reflects creativeness and much so the unexpected such as the holy water font whose basin rests on a monkey’s (or a devil’s)
head which we find unusual for a church. Another intriguing artwork is the painting Judicium Finale by Paete artist Jose Dans.
The huge painting illustrates heaven, purgatory and hell.
- St. Pio Chapel (C5, Libis, Quezon City)
The Center promotes religious devotion to St. Pio, a Capuchin priest and the first stigmatized (bearing the five wounds of Christ) priest in the history of the Catholia church.
The Center houses a number of relics of St. Pio
- The Philippine Centre for St. Pio of Pietrelcina
The center fosters, solicits and encourages devotions to St. Pio and spreads his good works with the help of charitable contributions from the public.
- Church of Malate (Malate, Manila)
The titular patroness of the Malate church is Nuestra Señora de los Remedios whose statue was brought from Spain in 1624 by
Rev. Juan Guevara, O.S.A. The British landed their troops near these shores in 1762 and used the Church of Malate for
protection for the rear-guard in the capture of Manila. It church was greatly damaged by the earthquake of June 3, 1863 and was
rebuilt by Rev. Francisco Cuadrado, O.S.A. The parish has been under the successive administration of the
Augustinians, the secular Clergy, the Redemptorists, and the Columbans.
- Manila Cathedral /Basilica of the Immaculate Conception (Plaza Roma, Intramuros, Manila)
The Manila Cathedral, the sixth structure to rise on its site, was built from 1953 to 1958 and elevated to the rank of Basilica Minore
by Pope John Paul II in 1981 and officially named Basilica of the Immaculate Conception.
- Molo Church (Molo, Iloilo)
The original church of Molo was built of tabique with a tile roof. Fr. Jose Ma. Sichon
replaced it with a temporary church made of nipa in 1863 and rebuilt in 1869 with a Gothic-Renaissance architecture.
It was offered to honor Sta. Ana, its patron saint. Known as a Women's Church it is home to 16 images of female saints.
The Philippine national hero Dr. Jose Rizal was said to have passed by the church to pray and view its collection of biblical paintings.
- Monasterio de Sta. Clara (Quezon City)
The Monasterio de Santa Clara or Royal Monastery of Santa Clara along Aurora Blvd. Quezon City, overlooks
the Marikina Valley. The Monasterio is a favorite pilgrimage site especially on Sundays and holidays
and on the feasts of St. Clare and St. Francis of Assisi.
- Royal Monastery of Santa Clara (Intramuros, Manila, then Quezon City)
The Royal Monastery of Santa Clara was originally established in Intramuros, Manila
by Sor Geronima de la Asunción, a relative of the Spanish monarchs. The Monasterio de Santa Clara transferred to Aurora Blvd.
in Quezon City, overlooking the Marikina Valley.